Onions - 2 thinly sliced
Garlic - 5 sliced
Tomatoes - 2 chopped
Brinjal / Eggplant - 1 cup cut lengthwise
Green chilies - 3 sliced
Tamarind extract - 2 cups
Sambar powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Salt - to taste
Sesame oil - 2 TBSP
Grated fresh coconut - 1/4 cup
Poppy seeds - 2 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the mustard seeds.
- Add the sliced onion, garlic and green chillies. Fry till golden brown.
- Add brinjal / eggplant and stir for 2 minutes.
- Mix the chopped tomatoes and fry for another two minutes.
- Add sambar powder, turmeric powder, curry leaves and salt. Mix well.
- Add the tamarind extract. Let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the ground coconut paste and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice.
Adopted from Mrs. Mallika Badrinath's Classic Lunch Recipes Cook Book.