White Pumpkin / Winter Squash / poosanikai - 2 cups (Peeled and shredded)
Sugar - 1 1/4 cups
Ghee - 4 TBSP
Cashew nuts - 5 (broken into halves)
Raisins - 10
Saffron - few strands (soaked in warm milk)
- In wide bottomed pan, saute the grated white pumpkin (with the juice), till it becomes dry.
- Add the sugar and keep stirring for 10 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and becomes a little thick.
- Add the ghee, broken cashews and raisins. No need to fry them.
- Fry for another 10 minutes in a low flame. Add the soaked saffron and mix well.
- Continue stirring and cooking till the halwa leaves the sides of the pan. Do not let the halwa become hard.
- Remove from the fire. Let it rest for 1/2 hour before serving.