Basmati Rice - 1 1/2 cups
Onion - 2 (thinly sliced)
Frozen Peas and Carrots - 1 cup
Paneer Cubes - 1 cup
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Cinnamon - 1/2 stick
Cloves - 5
Bay Leaves - 3
Salt - to taste
Ghee and Oil - 2 TBSP each
Mint Leaves - 1 cup
Green Chilies - 5
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Garlic - 2 cloves (optional)
Grind the above ingredients with little water into a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Wash and soak the rice for 15 minutes and pressure cook it with three cups of water.
- Steam cook or microwave the frozen peas and carrots until tender.
- In a wide non stick pan, heat oil and ghee.
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon and cloves. Fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the sliced onion and fry till it turns translucent.
- Add the ground mint paste and fry for 10 minutes or until the oil separates.
- Add the carrots, peas and salt. Mix well. If the mixture is dry add 1/4 cup water.
- Add the paneer pieces and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Add the cooked rice and mix gently to coat.
- Serve hot with raita.