Whole Milk - 1 Gallon
Heavy Cream - 1 cup
Butter milk - 1 pint (2 cups)
Salt - to taste
- Place a colander lined with 4 layers of cheese cloth on a large pot to collect the whey.
- Combine milk, cream and butter milk in a large pot. Gently boil the milk on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once the milk reaches to 175-180 degree F, it will start to curdle and separate.
- Remove from heat. Strain the cheese with a slotted spoon into the cheese cloth lined colander.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes. If you want your ricotta cheese to be moist, you can remove it at this point and add salt and herbs. I used crushed red pepper, black pepper, dried oregano, dried basil and little salt to taste. This is great for spreading.
- If it is for baking strain for longer time.
Don't throw the collected whey. Here are some of the ways to use the healthy whey.