Suraikkai / Bottle gourd / Lauki - 1 big or 2 small
Toor dal - 1/2 cup
Moong dal - 1/2 cup
Green chillies - 4, slit
Ginger - 1 tsp, chopped
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tsp and enough for deep frying vadam
Kuzhambu vadam - 10 to 15
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
Red chillies - 3
Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
- Peel the suraikkai and chop into cubes.
- Wash both toor and moong dal throughly.
- Pressure cook the dal with enough water along with suraikkai, slit green chillies, chopped ginger and turmeric powder. Cook for 4 to 5 whistles or for about 10 minutes.
- Once the pressure goes down, remove the lid and add salt.
- Heat oil in a small skillet and fry the vadam until dark brown.
- Add it to the dal and mix well.
- Take out some of the oil and keep 2 tsp oil for tempering.
- Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add urad dal, cumin seeds, broken red chillies and asafoetida. Fry until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and add the curry leaves.
- Add the tempering into the dal and mix thoroughly.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice or roti.