Toor dal - 1/2 cup
Raw mango - 1 medium, cut into cubes with skin
Green chilies - 3, slit lengthwise
Chopped Ginger - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Asafetida - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Dry red chillies - 2, broken into pieces
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Few curry leaves
Few springs fresh cilantro, chopped
- Pressure cook door dal with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder in enough water until soft.
- Place the cut mango, slit green chilies, ginger, asafetida, curry leaves and salt in a sauce pan. Add water until the mangoes are covered.
- Cook until mango is tender and soft.
- Add the cooked dal. Bring it to a boil. Add more water for the right consistency of your choice.
- In a small skillet, heat 2 tsp oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal, cumin seeds and dry red chillies. Fry until golden brown.
- Pour the tempering over dal and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with hot steamed rice with dollop of ghee (clarified butter).