This is my first bread for the baking project called We Knead To Bake, created by Aparna, of My Diverse Kitchen. This months theme is Herb & Cheese Pull-Apart bread. I thoroughly enjoyed baking this bread and looking forward to bake my next bread recipe. Thanks Aparna.
Warm Milk - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1 tsp
Active Dry Yeast - 2 tsp
All Purpose Flour - 2 3/4 to 3 cups
Butter - 2 TBSP / 25 g at room temperature
Milk - 3/4 cup
Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
For the filling:
Chopped Jalapenos - 2 or to taste
Shredded Cheddar Cheese - 1/2 cup
Dried Oregano - 2 tsp
Dried Basil - 2 tsp
Ground Black Pepper - 1tsp
Melted Butter - 2 TBSP
- In a small bowl, dissolve the sugar and yeast in 1/2 cup of warm milk.
- Keep it aside for 5 minutes for the yeast to proof.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, butter and salt. Mix well.
- Add the yeast mixture and 3/4 cup of milk and knead until you get a smooth, elastic dough.
- Place the dough ball into a well oiled bowl. Cover the dough completely with oil.
- Cover and let it rest for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Mix the chopped jalapenos, cheddar cheese, black pepper and oregano.
- Once the dough has risen, roll the dough into a rectangle, approximately 12 inches x 20 inches.
- Brush the melted butter over the dough.
- Sprinkle the cheese mixture evenly over the dough. Press gently.
- Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, carefully cut the dough into 6 even strips.
- Lift and stack the strips on top of one another. Gently roll the strips with a rolling pin.
- Now cut the dough into 6 square pieces.
- Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan and place the cut pieces side ways.
- Cover the pan and set aside to rise for 1 hour.
- Once the dough has risen, brush it with some milk.
- Bake at 350 degree F for 30-40 minutes or until browned.