Toor Dal - 1/4 cup, cooked
Pomegranate - 1 cup
Pineapple Pieces - 1/2 cup
Roma Tomatoes - 2 chopped
Green Chillies - 4 chopped
Chopped Ginger - 1 tsp
Asafetida - 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chopped Fresh Coriander - 2 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Salt - to taste
Ghee / Clarified butter - 1 tsp
- Place 1/2 cup of pomegranate arils in a blender with some water. Blend to extract the juice and strain to remove the seeds.
- Grind cooked toor dal and keep it aside.
- In a large pot, add the ground door dal, pomegranate juice and 2 cups of water.
- Add the pineapple pieces, chopped tomatoes, chillies, ginger, curry leaves, asafetida and salt.
- Boil for 5-7 minutes. Remove from flame. Add the other 1/2 cup of pomegranate arils and mix well.
- Heat ghee in a small pan and splutter mustard and cumin seeds. Pour over the rasam.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with rice or as a soup.