Eggplant / Kathirikai - 1 large
Yogurt - 2 cups (Greek or Home made)
Sour Cream - 1/2 cup (optional)
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Asafetida - 1/4 tsp
Broken Red Chilies - 2
Salt - to taste
Curry Leaves - few
Oil - 2 tsp for tempering
- Rub eggplant with some oil and cover with foil. Place it in 350 degree F oven and bake it for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Alternatively you can roast it over open flame or in the microwave.
- If you are using a microwave to roast, just poke the eggplant 4 or 5 places and place it in a microwave safe plate.
- Cook it on high for 5 minutes, turn, and cook for another 5 minutes or until soft and peel-able.
- Once the eggplant is cooled, remove the skin and scoop out the flesh.
- Roughly chop the cooked eggplant and place it in a large bowl.
- Add the yogurt, sour cream (if using), and salt. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a small skillet and add the mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add the broken red chilies and urad dal. Fry until golden brown.
- Add asafetida and curry leaves.
- Pour the tempering in the eggplant mixture and mix well.
- Sprinkle some red chili powder and black pepper.
- Serve with rice or roti.