Bitter Gourd - 1lb, about 7 to 8, washed, de-seeded and chopped into bite size pieces
Tomatoes - 3 medium sized, chopped finely
Mustard Seeds - 1tsp
Urad Dal - 2 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Asafetida - 1/2 tsp
Tamarind - Small lemon sized, soak it in warm water for 15 minutes and squeeze out the pulp
Powdered Jaggery - 1 TBSP
Salt - to taste
Curry Leaves - few
Oil - 4 TBSP
For the powder: Dry roast and make a fine powder.
Raw Rice - 1 TBSP
Toor Dal - 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Heat oil in a wide bottom pan. Splutter mustard seeds.
- Add urad dal and fry till golden brown.
- Add the chopped bitter gourd, asafetida and turmeric powder. Fry until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, chili powder and some curry leaves. Cooked until tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Add the jaggery, tamarind pulp and salt. Cook until it becomes thick and the oil separates from the sauce.
- Now add the rice powder and curry leaves. Mix well. Cook for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Serve with Idli, Dosa or yogurt rice.