Cooked Rice - 2 cups, basmati or long grain
Dill Leaves - 2 cups, washed and chopped
Cabbage - 1 cup, shredded
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 2 tsp
Grated Ginger - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
MTR Vangibhath Powder - 2 TBSP
Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - few
Salt - to taste
Oil- 2 TBSP
Ghee - 1 TBSP
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add urad dal and fry until golden brown.
- Add the shredded cabbage and mix well.
- Add the grated ginger, turmeric powder, curry leaves and asafoetida. Mix well, cover and cook until the cabbage is half cooked.
- Add the chopped dill leaves, MTR vangibhath powder and salt. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes or until the leaves and cabbage are fully cooked. Turn off the flame.
- Add the cooked rice and 1TBSP ghee. Mix thoroughly.
- Serve hot with raita.
Thinly sliced onions can be added in place of cabbage.
Add chickpeas (cooked chana) or kidney beans for some protein.