Rice Flour - 2 cups
Roasted gram / Chana gram flour - 1/2 cup (Pottukadalai maavu)
Besan / Gram flour - 1/4 cup
Sesame seeds - 2 tsp
Red chili powder - 1 tsp or to taste
Asafetida - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 4 TBSP
Salt - to taste
Oil - fro frying
- In a large bowl, combine all the flours, asafetida and salt. Make a well.
- Heat 4 TBSP oil in a small skillet and pour in the well.
- Add the sesame seeds and red chili powder in the oil.
- Mix the flour with enough water to make a soft dough.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Place some dough in a lightly oiled chakli / murukku maker with a single star disc attached.
- While pressing the chakli maker in a circular motion, make a round shape with the dough on a foil or wax paper.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully lift the chaklis and drop it in oil.
- Fry on medium heat, until light golden brown on both sides.
- Transfer the chaklis onto a paper towel to drain out excess oil.
- Let it cool completely. Store in a airtight container.