|Happy Krishna Jayanthi|
Uppu Seedai (Savoury)
Rice flour - 1 cup
Urad dal flour - 2 TBSP, roasted until light brown and aromatic
Butter - 2 TBSP, room temperature
Sesame Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Freshly grated coconut - 1 TBSP
Asafetida - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - for deep frying
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Add water little at a time and make a tight dough.
- Spread a clean and damp cloth or paper towel on the counter top.
- Take a small marble sized dough and roll it into a ball, using your palm.
- Heat oil in a pan. Drop the rolled balls little at a time.
- Move the balls gently to prevent them from sticking together.
- Fry on a medium heat, until golden brown.
- Place it on a paper towel to drain of excess oil.
Vella Seedai (Sweet)
Rice flour - 1 cup, sifted
Urad dal flour - 2 tsp, roasted until light brown and aromatic
Jaggery - 1 cup, grated
Thinly Sliced Coconut Pieces - 1 TBSP
Cardamom Powder - 1/4 tsp
Sesame seeds - 1/2 tsp
oil - for frying
- In a large skillet, dry roast the rice flour on a low flame, for a minute and until aromatic.
- Let it cool completely. Add the urad flour, sesame seeds and the thinly sliced coconut pieces and mix well.
- Place 1 cup water and 1 cup jaggery in a pan. Heat until the jaggery dissolves completely.
- Strain the jaggery syrup using a fine mesh strainer to remove impurities. Add cardamom powder.
- Boil the strained jaggery syrup in the same pan. Remove from the heat.
- Using a ladle, add the syrup little by little into the flour mixture until it forms a tight tough.
- Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Grease the palm with some ghee and roll the dough into small balls. A little bigger than a marble.
- Heat oil to medium high. The oil should not be smoking hot.
- Drop 5 or 6 rolled balls in hot oil. Wait for a minute and gently move it around to prevent them from sticking together.
- Deep fry until dark brown.