Nel in tamil, is unhusked rice paddy. Nel pori is puffed rice paddy.
Nel Pori - 4 cups
Jaggery - 1 cup
Thinly sliced coconut - 2 TBSP
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Dry ginger powder(sukku) - 1 tsp
Ghee - 1/2 tsp
- Spread the pori in a large plate or bowl. Remove all the husks.
- If pori is soft, spread them in a tray and toast in a oven on a very low temperature setting.
- Remove and let it cool.
- Roast the thinly sliced coconut in 1/2 tsp ghee until golden brown.
- Heat the jaggery in 1/4 cup of water until completely dissolved.
- Strain to remove any impurities.
- Add ginger powder, cardamom powder and coconut.
- Boil the strained jaggery syrup until it reaches a soft ball consistency.
- To check the consistency, place some syrup in a bowl of water. If you can make a ball out of it, then it is ready.
- Pour the jaggery syrup all over the pori.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix well to coat.
- Apply little ghee to your palm and shape into tight balls.