Thank You Priya of Now Serving for sending the mystery ingredient (Sun Dried Tomatoes) and a lovely gift. Thank You Reshmi and Priya for creating this wonderful event.
Ginger - 2 cups (chopped)
Sun Dried Tomatoes - 10 pieces
Red chilies - 10 or to taste
Jaggery - 2 tsp
Asafetida - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Sesame Oil - 1/4 cup
- Soak the sun dried tomatoes in warm water for 2 hours.
- Heat 2 TBSP of sesame oil in a pan and fry the cut ginger and red chilies for about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze out water from the soaked sun dried tomatoes and add it to the pan. Reserve the soaked water.
- Fry for another minute or so and remove from the heat. Let it cool completely.
- Grind the ginger, red chilies and sun dried tomatoes to a smooth paste using the soaked water. Add more water if needed.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add the ground paste and mix. Add jaggery, turmeric powder, asafetida and salt. Mix well.
- Keep stirring and cook until oil separates from the mixture.
- Let it cool completely and store it in a airtight container.