Rava / Sooji / Cream of Wheat - 1 cup
Ragi / Finger Millet Flour - 1/2 cup
Onion - 1 medium (chopped)
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 2 tsp
Green Chilies - 4 slit
Ginger - 2 tsp (chopped)
Asafetida - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - few
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 TBSP
Yogurt - 1 cup (well beaten)
Water - 2 1/2 cups
- Roast the rava with 1 tsp of ghee or oil until golden brown in low flame. Switch off the flame and mix in the ragi flour and roast without the heat.
- Microwave version: Place the rava in a microwavable plate or bowl and mix with oil or ghee and cook on high powder for a minute. Add the ragi flour and mix well and cook for an another 30 seconds.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. After spluttering add urad dal and fry until golden brown.
- Add the chopped onion, green chilies, ginger, asafetida and curry leaves. Fry until the onion is translucent.
- Now add the water, yogurt and salt. When the water starts boiling, add the rava-ragi mixture and mix it without any lumps. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with pickle or chutney of your choice.