Botanical name for long pepper is Piper Longum. The bark of the plant is called Kandan Thippili and the dried fruit is called Arisi Thippili.
|Kandan Thippili and Arisi Thippili|
This rasam is very effective remedy for common cold and cough.
Thoor dal - 1/4 cup
Tamarind Paste - 1 TBSP
Tomato - 1 medium, pureed
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Ghee / Clarified Butter - 1 tsp
Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
Fry the following ingredients in 1 tsp of oil and grind to a smooth paste:
Kandan Thippili - 4 sticks
Arisi Thippili - 5
Whole Black Pepper - 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Red chili - 1
Curry Leaves - 5
- Pressure cook thoor dal until soft. Let it cool and grind.
- In a large pot, add the pureed tomato, tamarind paste, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt. Add 1 cup of water and let it boil for 10 minutes.
- Now add the ground thoor dal and thippili paste, 1 cup water and boil for another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Heat ghee in a small pan and splutter mustard seeds and add it to the rasam.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Rasam can be served with rice or as a soup.
Add 5 to 6 garlic cloves along with tamarind water and cook until tender.