All purpose Flour - 1 3/4 cups
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Baking Powder - 1 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Unsalted Butter - 1/2 cup (melted and cooled)
Ripe Bananas - 2 or 3
Unsweetened Apple Sauce - 4 oz
Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
White, Dark or Milk Chocolate chips - 1/2 cups
Flax Seed Powder - 1 TBSP (mixed with 3 TBSP of water)
Walnuts or Pecans - 1/2 cup (lightly toasted and chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Butter and flour (or spray with non stick vegetable spray) the bottom and sides of a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the mashed bananas, apple sauce, flax seed mixture, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Combine the banana mixture to the flour and fold lightly with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Mix thoroughly.
- Fold in the chopped nuts and chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the top with some brown sugar (optional).
- Bake until the bread has risen and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (about 55 to 65 minutes).
- Place the pan on a wire rack to cool.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe adopted from here.