Cranberry - 2 bags (24oz)
Meyer Lemon - 6 (Here is an article about Meyer lemon)
Ginger - 1/2 cup, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
Mustard seeds - 2 tsp
Asafoetida - 1 tsp
Red chili powder - 1 1/2 - 2 TBSP or to taste
Roasted fenugreek powder - 1 tsp (dry roast fenugreek seeds in a pan until dark brown and fragrant)
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Sesame oil - 1/2 cup
Curry leaves - 1 to 2 springs
Salt - 3 to 4 tsp or to taste
- Wash and dry the cranberries. Discard soft, discolored or shriveled cranberries.
- Wash the meyer lemon and pat dry. Cut into half and remove seeds. Then cut into 8 pieces or smaller.
- Heat sesame oil in a large sauce pan. Add the mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves and chopped ginger. Fry for a minute.
- Add the cut lemon pieces, turmeric powder and 1 tsp of salt. Cook for 10 minutes until lemon becomes soft.
- Now add the cranberries, red chili powder and salt. Mix well.
- Cook on low flame until the cranberries are soft and mushy. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Once cooked, oil will start to float on top and sides. At this stage switch off the flame.
- Add 1 tsp roasted fenugreek powder and mix well.
- Let it cool completely. Store in a clean, dry glass jar.
- Refrigerate and use a dry spoon when serving.