Fenugreek seeds are primarily used as a spice in cooking, it is also used to treat variety of health problems. It is good for digestion and weight loss. It controls diabetes and high blood sugar. Drinking fenugreek tea every day strengthens the respiratory and reproductive systems.
Now lets make Vendhaya Mor Kuzhambu:
1/2 cup - White Pumpkin / Chayote squash(Bangalore kathrika or Chow-Chow) / Okra
1 cup - Curd / yogurt
1/2 tsp - Turmeric powder
Salt - to taste
2TBSP - Rice
1TBSP - vendhayam / Fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp - black pepper
1 tsp - cumin seeds / jeeragam
2 - Red chillies
2 - Green chillies
1/2 inch ginger
1/2 cup - grated fresh coconut
1 TBSP - Oil
1 tsp - Mustard seeds
Few curry leaves
- Heat 1/2 tsp of oil in a small skillet, and roast all the ingredients from the to grind list except the coconut till golden brown. Let it cool and grind it along with the coconut to a smooth paste.
- If you are using white pumpkin or the chayote squash peel the skin off and cut it into big chunks. Boil the vegetables in water until tender. You can also cook it in the microwave for 3 minutes.
- When using okra / vendaikai, cut them into 3/4 inch pieces and saute it in 2 tsp of oil.
- In a vessel, pour the curd / yogurt and add the ground paste.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Heat the curd / yogurt mix till it becomes frothy. Do not let the gravy boil like sambar / rasam.
- Add the cooked vegetables. Reduce the heat and cook for another minute.
- Fry the ingredients for the tempering in oil and add it to the gravy.
|Cauliflower Paruppu usili|
1 tsp fenugreek seeds (வெந்தயம்)
1 cup water
1/2 -1 1/2 tsp honey (Optional)
Soak the seeds in water overnight. In the morning boil the seeds and the water. Drain the water and add honey.