Appams are usually fried in oil using appakuzhi or aebleskiver pan. It is my all-time favorite sweet. When I saw the announcement for the whole grain baking event using brown rice, I thought this would be the perfect recipe to bake. For the first time I've used brown rice flour and the appams came out really good. Try these in your kitchen and do let me know.
Brown rice flour - 1 cup
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Rava / sooji / cream of wheat - 1 cup
Brown sugar - 1 cup
Molasses - 2 TBSP
Cardamom powder - 1tsp
Banana - 1 mashed
Apple sauce - 4 oz
Tutti-frutti - 2 tsp (Optional)
Oil - 1/4 cup
Baking powder and baking soda - 1/4 tsp each
I used a small rice cup for measuring.
- Mix all the ingredients with enough water into a pouring consistency. (thick batter)
- Let it rest for 1/2 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
- Line a mini cup cake or a muffin pan with liners and spray with oil.
- Spoon in the batter about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- You can use any size muffin or cup cake pan. I used the mini ones.
Ready to be baked
Adjust the sweetness to suit your palate.
These appams go to Maduram's Whole Grain Baking Event. Thank you Madhuram for hosting this wonderful event.