Cooked toor dal - 1 cup
Spinach - 1 cup (chopped)
Ridge gourd / Peerkkangai - 1 cup (peeled and cut into slices)
Tamarind - lemon sized
Sambar powder - 2 tsp
Channa dal - 1 TBSP
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Red chillies - 2-3 broken
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Asafetida - small pinch
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
- Soak tamarind in water and squeeze out the extract.
- Heat oil in a vessel and add the mustard , fenugreek seeds, red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add channa dal and fry till golden brown.
- Add the vegetables and saute for a minute.
- Add the tamarind extract along with 1-2 cups of water.
- Add sambar powder, salt and asafetida. Let it boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked toor dal and bring it to a boil. Serve hot with rice.