Tomatoes - 5, large
Carrot - 1, shredded
Onion - 1, medium, chopped
Garlic - 1 clove
Black pepper - 1 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp (optional)
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Bay leaves - 2
1% milk - 1/4 cup
Salt - to taste
Olive oil - 1 TBSP
Freshly crushed black pepper - for garnishing
- Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for five minutes.
- Once cooked, place them in a bowl with some ice and water. Remove the skin and roughly chop.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add bay leaves, fennel seeds and black peppers. Fry for few seconds and add the onion, ginger and garlic.
- Cook until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the shredded carrots and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and salt. Mix well and cook until soft.
- Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
- Transfer the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. Strain the mixture.
- Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of water and boil the soup for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add 1/4 cup of milk and mix well.
- Garnish with freshly ground black pepper before serving.
- Serve hot.