Brown Rice - 3 cups
Whole Black Urad Dal, with skin - 1 cup
Fenugreek Seeds - 1 TBSP
Brown Aval / Poha / Flattened Rice - 1/4 cup
Salt - to taste
- Wash and soak both the rice together and urad dal with fenugreek seeds separately in enough water overnight.
- Wash the poha and keep it for 5 minutes before grinding.
- Using a wet grinder or blender, grind the dal first till smooth and frothy, adding water very little at a time.
- Remove the dal batter. Add rice and the soaked poha and grind to a fine and thick consistency.
- Mix dal and rice batter in a large container. Add salt and mix well with hand.
- Make sure to keep it in a large container, so that there is enough space for the batter to rise.
- Keep the batter in a warm place for 8 hours to ferment and rise. I keep my batter in the oven with the lights on overnight.
- Next day, mix the fermented batter gently and pour into a greased idly plate and steam for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Serve hot with chutney of your choice and milagai podi (spicy dal powder).