Vaazhaipoo / Banana Flower - 1
Channa Dal / Yellow Split Peas - 1 1/2 cups
Toor Dal - 1/2 cup
Urad Dal - 2 TBSP
Dry Red Chilies - 6 or to taste
Green chilies - 2
Fennel Seeds / Sombu - 1 TBSP (optional)
Ginger - 1 small piece
Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Few Curry Leaves
Oil - for frying
Refer Radhika's step-by-step post for how to clean the banana flower.
- Wash all three dals (channa, toor and urad) thoroughly and soak it for 2 − 3 hours.
- Clean the banana flower and keep it aside. Do not chop the flowers at this time.
- Drain the soaked dal.
- In a food processor, first grind the chilies, ginger and fennel seeds with a handful of soaked dal until smooth. Do not add any water when you are grinding.
- Add the remaining dal and grind to a coarse paste. Add curry leaves, salt and asafoetida and pulse for couple of times.
- Remove the paste and place it in a bowl.
- In the same food processor, chop the banana flower coarsely.
- Add the chopped flower to the ground dal and mix thoroughly.
- Heat oil in pan or kadai. Keep the flame to medium.
- Take a golf ball size dough, flatten into small discs and fry them in hot oil until golden brown.